31 October 2008

Nice accent!

So we're at the grocery store the other day, and the check-out girl says "Oh, are you Americans?" Yes, we are. "I love you're accent - it's so great!" Now, we've been to a fair amount of places, and I have never heard of anyone liking a Midwest accent (except possibly someone looking for a news reporter). Oh well - I'll take it! She was also convinced that people in the US were SOOOO much nicer than people in Australia, which we both thought was slightly amusing.

And speaking of fun accent stories, when we went to pick up a couch we bought off of E-bay, the guy was trying to figure out Ben's accent. After we had gotten the couch mostly loaded (and thus had been talking to him for some time) he asked Ben if his accent was Scottish. John, a post-doc in the lab who is actually from Scotland, found this highly amusing.

But the interesting thing is that we don't really notice the Aussie accent anymore (unless it's really strong). However, we will occasionally sit in front of the TV and imitate what they say in order to cultivate our Aussie accent. Don't think it's helping, yet.

2 comments:

  1. So how's Ani's accent coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon my experiences with Americans and Australians, I have to say that Americans are a lotttt nicer. No kidding! But it could be slightly biased since I only met a few Australians. But honestly, they all impress me in a negative way.

    Speaking of accent, quite some people I randomly ran into(usually cashiers, waiters, etc..) asked me whether I am from Australia, England, even Singapore (I guess that is due to my very Asian look). I feel quite flattered, actually. But the point is do I really have, or just my real accent would not reveal given the short period of time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!