11 March 2010

Food

I come from a family that loves food. We like trying new food, we reminisce about food, we remember important events by what we ate. So although food has not featured much in the previous blog entries about Mom and Dad’s visit, it did play a very important role. In fact, Mom kept an entire food journal, and we have photos of almost every meal. While I won’t bore you with a complete recap of everything, here are some of the things you can look forward to trying when you come visit us. We of course had to introduce them to several classic Aussie foods:
Vegemite
Meat pies
Sausage rolls
Chico rolls
Aussie burgers (I wish I had a picture of Mom eating one of the best Aussie burgers we’ve ever had… cute little mom sitting there with a burger that was about the size of her head and beet juice and tomato sauce all over her face)
Kangaroo
Barramundi
Lamingtons
Anzac biscuits
Pavlova
Lemon Lime and Bitters
Ginger beer

They also got to try several fun fruits, which aren’t necessarily unique to Australia, but were new for Mom and Dad:
Quandongs
Rambutan
Longan
Lychee
Dragonfruit
Fresh passionfruit
Durian
Green ecology limitless magnificence (I think that counts as a fruit)

So if you don’t know what any of those things are and are eager to find out, go get your plane ticket! And Mom and Dad - if there's anything I missed, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea they actually eat Kangaroo meat! Does it taste like chicken?! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!