11 November 2009

Visitors!!

It's official - we're going to have visitors!!! My parents have bought their tickets and are headed to our corner of the world for a month. It'll be great to see them, but we're also REALLY looking forward to showing them a bit of our world and sharing some Aussie experiences with someone from home. Ever since we've moved here, we keep saying "So-and-so would love that restaurant/bird/neighbourhood/etc." Now we actually get share some of that stuff!

And I stole something from a fellow-expat's blog because I thought she captured the excitement of having visitors from "home" really well:

"My World
So it’s officially one month until my parents come!!!

It will be nice to have someone from home come here to see the life Andrew and I have set up for ourselves. None of my family or friends have ever seen the apartment I’ve lived in for over a year. People can’t see the street I live on (well, I guess they can on google these days). They haven’t eaten the food I’ve cooked in my kitchen, they haven’t sat on my couch to watch some TV.

Think about all your friends and all your family that you are closest to. You’ve been to their homes… you can walk into their places and notice if a picture or plant has been moved. You ask “did you get a new couch?” Or maybe you notice that they have put some new paint up on the walls. Now imagine setting up your own life, getting your first place, decorating, living your life… and never having those closest to you even see that life after almost a year and a half. It’s pretty sad, but that’s the reality you face when you move across the world I guess. So not only am I excited to see my parents again, I’m also excited to just have them be a part of MY world. It will be nice."

4 comments:

  1. so did you get a new - - - almost everything!
    We can't wait!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance we'll actually get to SIT on your couch or talk to your roos or listen to Hamish and Andy? (or will we be running off to go canyoning and see EVERYTHING in 4 short weeks?) Either way, WE'RE EXCITED!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're only making the 2 weeks in New Zealand jam packed - your two weeks in Oz is up to you! So you get to decide if you have time to sit on our couch or talk to roos (although Kristie already has you in her calendar for visiting the boys!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so very exciting!!!!! Have fun!!
    Beth is here with me now, and let me tell you, it is wonderful to have family come stay.
    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!