21 January 2009

Bye Bye, Bush!

Well, I sure wouldn't want to be the poor guy, but I'm glad Obama is finally in charge! It doesn't seem to be getting as much attention here as the election did, and I think that's because 1) we know who is moving into the White House, so there's not the suspense, and 2) I'm in Dubbo, where international politics take second seat to local affairs (e.g. who stole the plants from a health centre's garden, which locals are trying to make it big on a reality TV show, and what water restrictions are in place).

Nonetheless, a weathered Aussie bloke at work said that he got up at 3am to watch the inauguration, and that he shed a few tears because he was so moved. People here are definitely excited. And I'm going through major NPR withdrawal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!