22 January 2009

House of the week

I was starting to feel a little settled, so I decided it must be time to move again! Now, I’ve taken up residence at Tamara’s place (she’s the person I’m filling in for – I kinda feel like I’m taking over her life…). Anyway, Tamara is down in Tasmania (which becomes Tassie when you follow the aforementioned Aussie rule of shortening the word as much as possible and then adding –ie). Her PhD is on Tasmanian Devils, so she’s there for 2 weeks to do some field work, and she asked if I’d house/cat sit for her.

So I’m living in a nice brick house with a great loft (which is a bit of an oddity out here – very few houses have basements or second floors). I have 2 cats to keep me company: Merrick and Scrappy.


There’s actually a law student renting a room here, too, but he’s hardly ever around and Tamara didn’t trust him with the cats, so that's why I'm house-sitting. And although I hardly ever see Peter, he's proved to be an interesting guy. He's a nice enough guy, but he has his quirks. For example, I think the second thing he said to me is "Are you OK if I walk around in just my shorts/boxers?" Tamara had actually warned me about this, and given the temps, I say do whatever makes you comfortable. Nonetheless, I was a little taken aback when I came home to find him cooking dinner in nothing but lime green briefs! And when Scrappy was looking out the window the other night, he decided it was animal cruelty to keep cats confined... in a 2 story house.

Diligently writing a new blog post... uh, I mean working on my thesis:

1 comment:

  1. K is such a good writer. I really think you should put all the chapters together and have them published with name One Year in Aussie (Xixi, one of my favorite book is One Year in Provence by Peter Mayer).

    I enjoy this one very much, kitties, brick home, loft, and funny roommate...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!