22 October 2009

Getting to know you

I've decided that personal maps should be a standard part of introductions.
"Hi, what's your name?
What do you do for a living?
Can I see your map?"

Could this idea be related to my obsession with maps and travel? Possibly. But I do think it makes practical sense. It replaces the "Where are you from" question, which is becoming more complicated as people become more mobile. To simplify this question, people either pick one place ("I'm originally from Colorado") or give a very general answer ("I'm from the US"). Consequently, you can miss some great parts of that person's geographic history. Having a map allows you to identify points of common ground (literally) in one glance.

And then you could have a recent version that you can show to people you haven't seen in a bit - get an instant overview of trips that people have taken since the last time you saw them.

So here's our map. It's only for places that we've both lived - it does not include vacations we've taken. The "B&K holiday map" is a whole other project.

View Our Map in a larger map

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!