08 October 2009

My life would be better if I had that house... or would it?


So the other day we woke up early and headed to Manly Beach for a nice morning walk. Manly Beach is probably the second-most famous beach in Sydney (the first being Bondi). There's a beautiful long beach with two craggy/cliffy/great-splash-producing outcroppings on either side. So as Ben and Ani and I are wandering among beautiful new houses with ocean-view balconies,

and watching the morning sun dancing on the water, and checking out a few ambitious surfers and this awesome elderly (70ish) lady walking back from her morning swim, and being envious of the people who have a walk on the beach as their morning commute

- we start thinking "this is the life!" And if we both got "normal" jobs, we too could wake up with a nice run on the beach and then enjoy a cup of coffee together on our balcony watching the waves.

And it's a happy thought. And it reminded me of this book title that I heard the other day but now I can't find it anywhere so I'm not sure I got it right: "My Life Would Be Better If I Just Had That House." But the problem is that it's just not us. We're too trendy for Manly. (Or maybe it's the other way around - I can never keep it straight.) Manly is pretty much DINK-ville, and by no stretch of the imagination do we classify as yuppies or DINKs (double income, no kids). Plus, Ani wouldn't be allowed to run on the beach with us - I guess with riches comes species-ism. So for now we'll keep our life in our house, but sometimes it's just fun to imagine.

1 comment:

  1. Prime real estate on the beach? I think you need to tell your financial guru that you're expecting miracles! Don't worry, you've got time on your side - the 70ish lady probably didn't get there until she was in her late 60s!
    Anyway, it looks like paradise there - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - we love to hear your comments!!